Introduction to Materials Testing in a Manufacturing Environment
This course provides an understanding of the interrelationship between material properties at the atomic, microscopic and macroscopic scale which underpin the mechanical properties of metals and their alloys, polymers, ceramics and composites, and reviews the wide range of test methodologies that have been developed to accurately measure the properties of each group of materials.
Part Funded from £200
Standard from £400
Who should attend?The course is aimed at people who wish to gain an understanding of the key role that testing plays in ensuring that the materials selected are ‘fit for purpose’ in a range of applications. Typical candidates include both technical personnel and engineers.
Course aimsTo provide a good understanding of material properties, and the test methodologies and standards that have been developed to ensure that materials can be safely deployed in a wide range of in-service scenarios.
Learning outcomesA wide knowledge of the basis of the mechanical properties of both metallic and non-metallic materials. Course delegates will be able evaluate the performance of materials under a range of both static and dynamic loading conditions, and relate the results obtained to in-service requirements.
- Why test? A review of the value of testing.
- The development of standards and metrology.
- Material fundamentals – atomic structure, microstructure, crystal structure and deformation processes in crystals.
- Mechanical property determination – tensile, hardness, formability, toughness, fatigue, creep, corrosion testing, and a review of selected standards to indicate key factors which influence test accuracy in terms of sample preparation, equipment selection etc.
- The mechanical behaviour of ferrous and non-ferrous alloys, polymers, composites and ceramics.
- Non-destructive testing methodologies including in-service inspection, dye-penetrant, ultrasonics and radiography.
Duration3 days plus assessment.
Assessment2 hour written exam.
To find out more about how much it costs to attend this course and to see if you are eligible for part funding please visit our prices page